'I am very concerned about the allegations that safety protocols were breached at APS' -- New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas
New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas says he is launching an investigation into how Albuquerque Public Schools failed to do a background check on a deputy superintendent facing child sexual abuse charges.
The deputy superintendent, Jason Martinez, is facing those charges in Colorado and could go on trial in October.
Balderas said his office will perform a “safety assessment” of APS’s security breach.
“I am very concerned about the allegations that safety protocols were breached at APS,” Balderas said in a statement Monday morning.
“I’ve decided to initiate a safety assessment of the matter, and I will be communicating with the district today,” he said.
Martinez resigned from his job last week. Afterward, it was revealed that he is facing the sex abuse charges charges in Colorado. He was hired by APS earlier this summer before his background check was done.
An attorney for APS’s human resources director said his client informed APS Superintendent Luis Valentino many times about the failure to complete the background check on Martinez. The Albuquerque Journal reported that Valentino was told six times about the need for the background check.
The APS board met for five hours in closed session Sunday night regarding Valentino’s future. The board made no decision and is scheduled to meet again on Thursday morning.
Latest posts by ABQ Free Press (see all)
- One Less ABQ News Voice - November 5, 2017
- What Happens When A Troubled Police Department Refuses To Reform? - October 23, 2017
- Campaign Satire: Colón’s Surplus Cheese And More - September 27, 2017