<script async src=”//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js”></script>
<!– Front page sidebar –>
<ins class=”adsbygoogle”
style=”display:inline-block;width:300px;height:600px”
data-ad-client=”ca-pub-6727059054102892″
data-ad-slot=”4003498234″></ins>
<script>
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
</script>



Lawyer: Mom And Daughter Injured in U.S. Marshal Operation

Lawyer: Mom And Daughter Injured in U.S. Marshal Operation

“I have heard that the female and her child were hurt by what they believe was shrapnel from a round fired by the task force that was there to, apparently, arrest Nathan Jensen,” Bowles said. “They heard a loud pop and then both of them were injured.”

BY DENNIS DOMRZALSKI

An Albuquerque attorney said Thursday that two people were injured—possibly by a gunshot or fragments from a bullet—in a May 16 operation by the U.S. Marshal Service in which the Marshal Service said no one was hurt and no gun was fired.

Attorney Jason Bowles, who represents the man who was arrested in the “critical incident” at 2900 19th Street N.W., said the man’s girlfriend and her daughter were injured during the incident.

“I have heard that the female and her child were hurt by what they believe was shrapnel from a round fired by the task force that was there to, apparently, arrest Nathan Jensen,” Bowles said. “They heard a loud pop and then both of them were injured.”

Jensen, 33, was arrested and charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

At the time of the operation, Marshal Deputy Kenneth Daniel said no one was shot and no one was injured.

But the next day, KOAT-TV Channel 7 reported that sources had confirmed that a deputy marshal had fired a shot and had been placed on leave.

U.S. Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Elizabeth Martinez said she couldn’t comment on whether two people were injured in the operation. “The Department of Justice policy is that we are not able to provide any information that is not on the public record. I have checked and there is no public record information [injuries],” Martinez said.

Bowles said he has been told that officers from the Albuquerque Police Department returned to the house in which Jensen was staying to retrieve a bullet. “APD did come back and they were looking for rounds,” Bowles said.

The Albuquerque Fire Department said it couldn’t say whether anyone was injured that night, or what the injuries were, because of federal medical privacy laws.

The Marshal Service has been involved in at least five shootings in the past five months, two in which people were killed, and one in which a man committed suicide.

The following two tabs change content below.
Dennis Domrzalski is managing editor of ABQ Free Press. Reach him at dennis@freeabq.com.
1 comment

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Cancel reply

1 Comment

  • Aya
    June 4, 2016, 8:58 am

    "U.S. Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Elizabeth Martinez said she couldn’t comment on whether two people were injured in the operation. “The Department of Justice policy is that we are not able to provide any information that is not on the public record. I have checked and there is no public record information [injuries],” Martinez said."

    So, this is one of them things where they write a policy that specifically stops them from injuring themselves, right?
    Like when congress writes a law that says they cannot be prosecuted for felonies they find themselves committing?
    Or when cops write policies stating that cops cannot be prosecuted using the same laws they force other to abide by, right?

    REPLY
The following two tabs change content below.
Johnny Vizcaino is an editorial intern at ABQ Free Press Weekly.

Latest posts by Johnny Vizcaino (see all)